Sunday, November 15, 2009

BP13_20091115_Reponse to Roxanne Santiago

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2009
BP15_20091115_Web 2.0 tool Mandala
Mandala Maker


Video created by © Roxanne Santiago
I love working with radial designs in my art room. I usually work with kaleidoscope designs with my second graders and radial/mandala designs with fourth graders. Most mandala designs are symmetrical. The meaning of “mandala” comes from Sanskrit, meaning center or circle. The design usually begins in the center and branches outward.


"Mandala Maker" is a web 2.0 tool that allows anyone to create a mandala design online. This can be a great addition to my introduction to my lessons on mandalas/radial designs. On this site, students can use geometric shapes to design 1/8 of their mandala. This is a great pictorial illustration of fractions. Students have options to change colors, rotate the scale and skew the shapes. Once the students feel that they have completed their design or just want to take a peek at their design as a whole, they can press view design. This is when the magic of symmetry begins! Students will begin to “Oooohhhhh!” and “Aaaahhhh!” at what they have created but they will not be satisfied just yet! Now the curiosity kicks in and students will continue to play around by clicking “Continue working”. Who would have thought!? Eventually students will finally become satisfied with a design and it can be e-mailed to themselves or to someone else. I can definitely use this as warm-up project prior to their detailed hands-on art project.


Not only is this a great art lesson, it reinforces many concepts that are taught in our Everyday Math series and allows for cross-curricular teaching, which is a huge push in my district. Grade level teachers really appreciate the additional practice with terminology being taught in math. A few mathematical topics that will be revisited as a result of this activity include geometric shapes, symmetry, fractions, patterns, and measurement (height/width). This web 2.0 tool is not only an engaging introduction for an art project, but it is educational and enjoyable.



Posted by Roxy at 7:40 PM
Labels: art, mandala, math, symmetry
2 comments:

Lori Pickering said...
This is a nice simplified tool for creating mandalas. I, too, do many art lessons around radial design. Its connection to math and symmetry are excellent for students to see the relationship between art and math. In middle school, differentiation is critical and this site may be perfect for students who are not advanced enough for My Oats. Thank you Roxanne.
November 10, 2009 8:44 PM
jsibley said...
I am always looking for new and interesting art projects since I teach my own art. We aren't as fortunate to have an art teacher. I wish we were. The mandalas look fun for the students. I want to try this lesson. I also like the fact that it incorporates math into art. I also like that students can share their art work with others with out having to print it out. Go Green! Go job Roxanne!
November 15, 2009 1:34 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment