Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BP5_20091108_Week 2 Research & Blogging


Image created by Jamie Sibley. Copyrighted by www.bitstrips.com

1.The first site I researched was www.bitstrips.com. On this site a user can create his/her own comic strips. Users can choose from a variety of genres to create a comic strip, such as humor. A user can create them selves, just like an avatar in Second Life. On Bit strips a user can set up a profile, view their comic strips and characters, build a scene for a comic, find favorite comics and find or create friends.

I would use this site for when my students go to computer lab. This is a time when I can get them all onto a site together. My class just finished a chapter in Social Studies on California’s Indians. I would have them create a comic strip that includes one Indian tribe that they learned about. They would have to include the foods, houses, transportation, and natural resources the Indians used in their comic strip.

I could also use this site as a lesson for my Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) students. I would give them a topic and they could create their own comic. I am always looking for activities that would keep my GATE students interested in learning and I feel this would be interesting and fun.

2 comments:

  1. Good find Jaime!!! I like the idea of a comic strip and the use of avatars created by students. Bitstrips seems to give more options for building avatars, which for me as an art teacher, that's a plus. For example, the Wii game system gives options but in the tour for bitstip, there seems to be many more choices for the students to build their own unique avatar so that no two are identical. I can see using this with an art club. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the product that Jamie found called bitstrips. It gives you the opportunity to create comic strips about topics you are covering in the classroom. I see how this is a great way to get the students to create information in their own words and portray acts or information with cartoon characters. It can be done in a such a way that the students use their comic strips to actually study with. I am covering different scientists involved with the Cell theory and how they interacted with each other to come up with the concept. I would have the students create a comic strip about the situation.

    Jim Snead

    ReplyDelete